MAKE A STENCILLED WOODEN COASTER USING CRICUT
WOW this project is absolutely stunning and I guarantee you will be amazed at the results when you peel back that stencil! Today we’ll be showing you how to make a stencilled wooden coaster using your Cricut. Of course, you have the option to use HTV or permanent vinyl, but this painted method fun, different and still results in some beautilly crisp and clear lines! We love this wooden coaster project. If you have a go, make sure to share your creations with us!
This design comes with a personal and commercial license to use up to 250 made items, but please do not re-sell or re-distribute the files. To download the free ‘Love Wreath” SVG bundle click here!
What you’ll need…
- Love Wreath SVG
- Brown (or black) acrylic paint
- Wood slices
- Stencil vinyl
- Scotch tape
- Transfer tape
- Krylon varnish
- Cork sheet OR craft felt
- Cutting machine (Cricut maker, Silhouette, Explore or Joy)
- A Cricut light gip mat (blue) or standard grip green mat
- Weeding tool
- A fine-point blade
- A paintbrush
- Scraping tool
- Glue gun
- (optional) a heat gun
- Upload the Love Wreath design into Design Space. Highlight the SVG and click ‘insert image’ to move it into your canvas area. Resize it so that it fits nicely on your wooden slice.
2. Next you will need to invert your design so it can be used as a stencil. To do this, draw a circle or square around your design. Start by selecting ‘shapes’ and then ‘circle’. Place over your design.
3. Drag your SVG upwards, above the circle in the layers panel to move it forward (so you can see your design!)
4.Highlight both layers, click ‘align’ then ‘centre’ to centre the design exactly in the middle. This will make placement much easier later!
5. Highlight the Love text layer first and the circle (hold shift to select more than one layer). Slice and delete any ‘love’ text from your layers. This will cut out your SVG design from the circle (soon to be your stencil).
6. Repeat for the wreath around the outside. Highlight the wreath and the circle, slice and delete the slice results. You will be left with the below. This is your stencil.
7. That’s your stencil ready to cut. The empty spaces are where your acrylic paint will go. Click make it, then under base material click ‘all materials’ and find ‘stencil vinyl’ in the list.
8. Cut your stencil vinyl to size and lay it on your mat. Stencil vinyl is prone to getting a few air bubbles. Don’t fret if this happens, just use your scraper tool to push the bubbles out as best as you can.
9. Cut your design, and then weed it using your tool
10. Cut some transfer paper ready. I cut around the stencil and placed it on top of my wooden slice just to see what it would look like! Adhere your transfer paper to the stencil.
11. Use the transfer tape to adhere your stencil to your wooden slice
12. Take a paintbrush and some acrylic paint and paint over the stencil.
13. Wait for your design to dry COMPLETELY. You can use a heat gun to speed up this process if you wish.
14. When dry, peel off your stencil. Wow!
15. Next, we need to put something on the bottom of your wooden slice to stop it from slipping or scratching your table. You can use craft felt for this or (as we have here) a cork sheet. Whether you choose to cover the bottom completely or use scissors put a few little circles underneath… this is up to you! We are going to cover the bottom.
16. Place your wooden slice on your cork sheet and draw around it with a pen
17. Use scissors to cut out the the shape
18. Heat up your glue gun. And add some glue to the bottom. Stick your cork on.
19. Varnish your finished project. Follow the instructions on the back of the can. You will want to do this in a well ventilated area. This will protect the design and also give it a nice shine
Please Share our designs and share the love!
Please help us by sharing it before downloading the design. If you like these free designs, please take a moment to share on your favorite social media or pin it on Pinterest. That helps our site continue to grow so that we can continue to provide free content. Thank you! 💜
Want more freebies? Sign up below to subscribe to our newsletter and get free svgs every single week direct!